A survey from PBS reveals that parents often lend their iPads to their kids. Here are the fascinating stats:
- 70% of parents let their kids use their iPad
- Parents download an average of 8 apps for their kids
- More than 40% of kids use the iPad at least once a day
- 90% of parents give iPads to their kids because of it’s educational value
Here are some interesting stats from the comScore 2010 Mobile Year in Review:
- In December 2010, nearly 47 percent of mobile subscribers in the U.S. were mobile media users (browsed the mobile web, accessed applications, downloaded content or accessed the mobile Internet via SMS) up 7.6 percentage points from the previous year.
- Nearly one-third of mobile users in the U.S. have unlimited data plans compared with just 8 percent of mobile users in Europe.
- Nearly half (48 percent) of U.S. phone owners can browse the full web (HTML, not WAP) while 61 percent of EU5 phone owners have this capability
- In the U.S., 4 of the top 5 acquired devices in 2010 were smartphones, while 3 of the top 5 in Europe are smartphones
- There are more than 60 different browser versions being deployed across mobile handsets from over a dozen vendors
- In Europe, those 55 and older represent 18.1 percent of the market as compared to just 12.6 percent in the U.S.
- The fastest growing age segments in the U.S. smartphone market were 13-17 year olds (up 86 percent to 4.3 million smartphone users) and those age 55 and older (up 78 percent to 8 million smartphone users)
Web versus Apps
- 36 percent of mobile using Americans and 29 percent of Europeans browsed the mobile web in December 2010, while application access reached 34 percent of Americans and 28 percent of Europeans.
- 82 percent of app users also use their browser, while 78 percent of browser users also utilize apps
- 6 percent of app users don’t utilize their browser, while 8 percent of browser users don’t utilize apps
- The number of mobile users that accessed a social networking site at least once a month via their mobile device increased by 56 percent to nearly 58 million users in the U.S
- In Europe, a 75-percent increase in the number of social networking users over the last year to 42 million
- Facebook usage on mobile grew by more than 120% in U.S. and EU5 in past year
Download the full report from comScore.